When you are looking for your time in the media spotlight, there are things you should do in preparing for the interview.
As I wrote in a previous blog post, here are some tips to help you get ready:
- Clarify your communication objective(s).
- Determine how the interview might offer you the chance to make positive points or provide helpful information about your topic/issue/organization.
- Write down and practice key message points in brief statements or bullet points.
- Remove jargon or long explanations.
- Have back up data to support your points if appropriate. Review facts and figure so you are comfortable discussing them.
- Get to know the media outlet — what type of program is it? Who is their target audience? What is the interview format? Length? Live? Taped? Solo or multi-guests?
Tip #1 on what you should NEVER do
Tip #2 on what you should do during an interview
Tip #3 on what you should NOT do during an interview
To get more great tips, pick up a copy of my #1 Best Seller book on Amazon, How to Get on the News Without Committing Murder here: HTGOTNWCM